At 03:14 PM 8/15/00 -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> > All variables should be C<$x>. They should behave appropriately
> > according to their object types and methods.
>
>No thanks.  I frequently use variables $foo, @foo, and %foo at the same
>time when they contain the same information in different formats.  For
>example:
>
>     $args = 'first second third';
>     @args = split (' ', $args);
>     my $i = 0;
>     %args = map { $_ => ++$i } @args;
>
>This is very Perlish to me; the punctuation is part of the variable name
>and disambiguates nicely.  I'd be very upset if this idiom went away.

What he said.  Several things have occasionally struck me as standing
improvement in Perl; this has never been one of them.  It's always been
very intuitive and easy to understand for me.

Methinks the language list is starting to hit the ozone layer.

--
Peter Scott
Pacific Systems Design Technologies