On Fri, 18 Aug 2000, Jonathan Scott Duff wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 18, 2000 at 10:39:36AM -0500, Brian Wheeler wrote:
> > "Using" might be an interesting alternative
>
> Reminds me of BASIC  :-)

        Works for me.

> > What if the hash keys we want to use are not valid scalar names?  For example,
> > I've had keys like "total - female" as keys, but using the ^ syntax
> > would fail on this...
>
> Good point.  But who's to say that ^{total - female} doesn't work?

        That was actually the point of one of my examples...
                print "^{name}'s age is ^age\n";

        I wanted to make sure that the {} notation was acceptable with
"hat variables."  You need it when you have keys like 'total - female',
and you need it when you are going to have other text butting up against
your variable name.

                                Dave