"H.Merijn Brand" wrote:

> On 20 Sep 2000 04:12:09 -0000, Perl6 RFC Librarian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > =head1 TITLE
> >
> > Add null() keyword and fundamental data type
> >
> > =head1 MIGRATION
> >
> > None. New functionality.
>
> Not true. Apart from the discussion if undef is the same as null, in which I
> take no stance, Migration *is* an issue, cause if the null state is available,
> DBI/DBD users *will* expect that NULL values from the database are yielded as
> null values in perl and not as undef, the way it is implemented now.

I agree that migration is an issue for DBI and scripts that use it and do
non-trivial data manipulations; but for non-database-oriented scripts, there would
be no migration issue.  I would expect this is a simple fix for DBI internals, not
sure the impact on DBI users, except that it will be beneficial for writing higher
level DB functions, so probably worth whatever conversion pain there is.

> Same when
> inserting data.

This is also an issue, probably it could be dealt with by converting undef to null
when it is clearly becoming an entry in a database which doesn't support undef.
use strict should probably diagnose that.

--
Glenn
=====