On 4 Oct 2000, at 14:06, John Porter wrote:

> I am of the opinion that any documentation which requires, or at least
> would significantly benefit from, the use of something heavy like SGML
> is best done OUTSIDE THE CODE.  There's no reason you can't have
> document files accompanying the perl code files, for gosh sakes.

I disagree slightly. One of the benefits of Pod is that it can be
intermingled with Perl code; there's no need to have it be all in one
piece. This can be used to good advantage by having the pod for
each function be places just above that function, thus simultaneously
helping to document the code. If the pod (or whatever) is in a
separate file, this advantage is lost.

However, I don't think this is necessarily a strong reason against
abandoning pod if there are other advantages to other solutions; I
just think it should be kept in mind.

Cheers,
Philip
--
Philip Newton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
I appreciate copies of replies to my messages to Perl6 lists.