Steve Simmons <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

 > Paul Johnson wrote:
 >
 > > Has anyone considered the problems associated with XS code, or
whatever
 > > its replacement is?
 >
 > Pardon my ignorance, but what's XS code?

Simply put (and paraphrastically, so don't nitpick, anyone), XS is using a
funky type of C used to code Perl back ends. You end up with compiled
modules in .DLL (Win32) or .so (Linux/etc) format. XS is used to supply
Perl with functionality that it currently doesn't have, such as connecting
with a C-based library, or to do something faster in compiled code than
you could do in Perl code (which latter use is becoming more and more
irrelevant on faster and faster machines).