> In my experience of Japanese (and other languages) it's quite the opposite.
> Speakers get lazy. They cut corners. They omit things. They corrupt verb
> forms. Latin was pretty regular; languages derived from it aren't.

Simon doesn't know anything about Japanese, though. ;)

The evolution of languages isn't exactly stop-and-go. All natural
languages have evolved from something. Irregularities compound.

The exception is word polysemy, which tends to increase with the evolution
of the language. Whether ambiguous contexts are irregular is debatable,
however.