OK, there's probably somthing simple I'm missing here, but...

1. C<use 5> or C<use 6> (and, in general, C<use <vervect>>) import the
   definitions of the language as it existed at that time (more or less), or
   die if they can't.  (Or run through p52p6, or whatever.)

   Advantage: matches existing precedent.  The real perl 5 won't choke on
   it, and will even give the right error.

2. If the name of the executable (from argv[0] or the beginning of #!)
   contains "perl.?[56]", then there is an implicit C<use 5> or C<use 6>.
   (And why not any other version number? Just don't ship them in core,
   please!)

   Advantage: reasonably non-intrusive.

3. Otherwise, assume perl 6.

   Advantage: we require trivial changes in existing scripts instead of
   baggage we'll be carrying around forever.

   If you object to that much change as an admin, feel free -- install perl6
   under the name "perl6", symlink perl5 to it, and make a symlink from perl
   to perl5.  (This would work only if we had #2 follow symlinks until it
   saw a "perl5" or "perl6", which is probably fine).

   If you don't have symlinks on your system, then get a better system, use
   a site-policy file, or bite the bullet and change the #! lines.

     -=- James Mastros
--
The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious.  It is the
source of all true art and science.  He to whom this emotion is a stranger,