Why not

   @foo = @( a + b );   # element by element add of @a and @b

or even

   @( foo = a + b );  # element by element add of @a and @b assigned to
@foo.

I guess one could claim the idea is similar to the old BASIC MAT prefix,
although it was clearly reached by a different path.  This could also
address the Highlander variables, to some extent.... leaving in today's
variable prefixes $, @, and %, one could factor out a certain amount of the
line noise in some circumstances via

  $( foo = a + b );  # scalar addition of $a and $b, assigned to $foo

And for hashes, corresponding element addition...

  %( foo = a + b );

If  (keys %a)  and  (keys %b) do not produce the same list, it would be
expected that (keys %foo) would be the union, addition would be done on the
common keys, and the unique keys wold be copied.  If you want %foo to get
the intersection, you could do something like

  %( foo = a{keys %b} + b{keys %a});  # remember, the % context gets
distributed