On Thu, 03 May 2001 22:14:47 -0500, David L. Nicol wrote:

>I am going to miss doublequoting being the default quoting for
>here strings.  I find that to be a very nice optimization and
>would like to know more about the reasoning behind taking it
>away.

I was already panicking when I saw this message. Of course, I hadn't
seen Apo 2 itself, and I was really reliefed when I did.

For the record: I had assumed that double quotish interpretation for the
here docs was going to disappear. Not so. It's just that in

        $heredoc = <<"END";
        foo    foo foo foo
        END

the double quotes around the end marker, "END", will have to be
included. They may no longer be dropped.

>I worry that official standard p6 will be more difficult
>to use than official standard p5.

Heh? I *always* put quotes around them. But I hardly ever restrict
myself to word characters in the end delimiter, anyway. I fail to see
the problem.

--
        Bart.