Probably rehashing (no pun intended) a lost cause, but this sounds logical
to me, if you're referring to something similar to PHP's Array['text']
notation. I.e.,

$array[1]
$hash{'one'}

becoming

@group['one']

or something similar in Perl 6. Heretofore the issue may have been the
indexing done by hashes, but since these will become actual objects in Perl
6, *how* they are indexed could be a simple flag (sorted | numeric, sorted |
string, fast | string, etc.)

The result would be two types of variables: single and multiple.

But I imagine that this has been gone over many times.