On Sun, 26 Aug 2001, Ken Fox wrote:

> Dan Sugalski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >
> > > What are the references?
> >
> > ... Advanced Compiler Design & Implementation
>
> I really like that book too. IMHO he didn't really need to write all
> the examples in his very own language though. (Who does he think he is,
> Knuth? ;)

Heh. Everyone invents their own. I think that's because there are only two
or three real ones in use at that level, and I bet they're all nasty and
terribly embarrasing as instructional material. :)

> The best beginner book on the subject of compilers IMHO is Appel's
> Modern Compiler Implementation in ML. It is *much* easier to read
> than the dragon book. There are other language versions of it, but
> it seems kind of heretical to read Appel without ML.

I'll have to go pick that one up. I didn't bother when I saw it, since ML
didn't interest me. I think it's time to remedy that.

                                        Dan