At 12:00 PM 9/5/2001 +1100, Damian Conway wrote:
>Dan concluded:
>
>    > Certainly doable. Just potentially slow, which is what I'm worried
>    > about. Making it not slow has both potential significant complexity
>    > and memory usage. If we have to, that's fine. Just want to make
>    > sure the cost is known before the decision's made. :)
>
>I rather liked the "delete-means-install-a-pad-walking-placeholder" notion.
>That way things only get slow if you actuallt do something evil.

Insert needs one too. Or, rather, there needs to be one there already, and
we may need to walk back pad by pad if a pad's changed.

I think we're going to have to go with a doubly-linked tree structure for
pads with some sort of runtime invalidation of fake entries when the pad
itself is messed with. Have to think on that one a bit.

                                        Dan

                                      teddy bears get drunk