Damian wrote:
> Dan wept:
>    > I knew there was something bugging me about this.
>    >
>    > Allowing lexically scoped subs to spring into existence (and
>    > variables, for that matter) will probably slow down sub and
>    > variable access, since we can't safely resolve at compile time what
>    > variable or sub is being accessed.
>
> Understood. And that's why you get the big bucks. ;-)

Efficiency is a real issue! I've got 30,000 lines of *.pm in my
latest application -- another 40,000 come from CPAN. The lines
of code run a good deal less, but it's still a pretty big chunk
of Perl.

The thought of my app suddenly running slower (possibly *much*
slower after seeing the semantics of Perl 6 lexicals) doesn't
make me real happy. IMHO it would fork the language, even if
the fork was only done with pragmas.

- Ken