On Fri, Oct 26, 2001 at 01:13:42PM -0400, Aaron Sherman wrote:
> It does make me think, though... Would it make sense to have an
> accessor operator? For example, in Perl5 I would do this:
>
>       sub foo {
>               my $self = shift;
>               my $old = $self->{foo};
>               # So $obj->foo(undef) will work
>               if (@_) {
>                       $self->{foo} = shift @_;
>               }
>               return $old;
>       }
>
> In Perl6 with the unary ., that becomes:
>
>       sub .foo (*@args) {
>               my $old = $.{foo};
>               # So $obj.foo(undef) will work
>               $.{foo} = shift @args if @args;
>               return $old;
>       }

Actually, I think it becomes:

        sub foo is method {
           my $old = .foo;
           .foo = shift if @_;
           return $old;
        }

But, I could be wrong.  Any Damians care to enlighten?  :-)

> So, since this is likely to be fairly common, could we perhaps have
> a shortcut?

I'm not so sure that a) we need short-cut and b) that one doesn't
already fall out of existing er, proposed language features.

-Scott
--
Jonathan Scott Duff
[EMAIL PROTECTED]