>>Besides no one has commented on Steve Fink's (I think it was him) idea
>>to store the result of the most recently executed conditional in $?. I
>>kinda like that idea myself. It makes mnemonic sense.

Hmmmm . . . I could grow used to that. A couple of thoughts.

1) It doesn't seem to buy us much that $_ doesn't already, except some slight
legibility in that we can say what the variable holds as in:

foreach $PIN_number (@list) {
    my $PIN = $PIN_number;
    #Stuff
}

2) What about our new, more complex foreach:

foreach ($key, $value) %hash {

    #What's $? here?

}

Perhaps we could use @_, since we're already used to that giving us arguments from
outside the current scope. Using @_ might very well be logical since custom iterators
will be using it anyway.

3) Even given 2 above I'm not sure that:

foreach ($key, $value) %hash {
    my ($key, $value) = @_;
    # Do stuff
}

is more useful than

do{
    my ($key, $value);
        foreach ($key, $value) { . . . }
}

simply because at the end of the first we have $key and $value still overwriting any
previous values, and they'll have values afterward. Even if a $? or @_ implementation
existed I'd probably use the do { . . . } anyway for that reason.

-Erik

Sign up today at http://mail.lycos.com