On Tue, Jun 04, 2002 at 10:48:06PM -0600, Luke Palmer wrote:
> Hmm... I like it. It took me a good 6 months before I learned how to use
> CPAN. I don't see how your proposal is that different from:
>
>   alias cpan='perl -MCPAN -e shell'

CPAN.pm already installs a cpan program for you that's exactly that.

schwern@blackrider:/usr/local/src/CPAN/CPAN-1.61$ cat cpan
#!/usr/bin/perl

use CPAN;
shell;

As for the rest of the message, this all seems to already exist, in one
form or another, in the CPAN shell or CPANPLUS shell.  If you want to see a
better CPAN shell, don't wait for Perl 6!  Help the CPANPLUS folks out now!
http://cpanplus.sourceforge.net/

> But I get the idea.  Someone (well, you've inspired me now, so I) could
> write a perl5 equivilent, because command line is quite nice.  I'll see
> how it flies with my next class.
>
> More comments below.
>
> On Tue, 4 Jun 2002, Miko O'Sullivan wrote:
>
> > [This seems like a good time to post something that's been on my mind for
> > some time.]
>
> Sure. It's been pretty dull around here.
>
> > DETAILS
> >
> > A few brief philosphical points:
> >
> >   1) People like languages that have tons of built-in
> >       doohickeys. See PHP and Java.
>
> See Perl 5 (though PHP and Java far exceed it, in doohickeys)
>
> >   2) Instead of a huge standard library, a really easy to use CPAN
> >       client allows programmers to have the world of modules almost
> >       as easily as built-in, and with the advantage of up-to-date-ness
> >       and quantity.
>
> Indeed. And it should be _really_ easy to install to a different source
> tree and have Perl use it. I want more modules on systems I don't
> administrate, and asking for them is a pain.
>
> > The command above would ask the user if they want to install using the
> > current directory as the root of library tree, and is also mentions that if
> > they want to specify another dir they can use this command:
> >
> >    cpan --lib ~/lib load Date::EzDate
>
> Hmm... yeah, I think that's as easy as library root's gonna get. I like
> C<install> better than C<load>, though.

<snip>

--
This sig file temporarily out of order.