>>Not quite arbitrary. Alphanumerics aren't allowed, nor are colon or
>>parens.
>
>  Of course.  I didn't want to poison my entire sentence with footnotes
> for the obvious exceptions.

Yes. It wasn't directed at you particularly, but at those for whom the
exception isn't obvious. The problem being, of course, that when it comes
to Perl 6 I'm no longer sure what's obvious and what isn't. ;-)

>>      foo rule ($arg) { $var := <$arg> };
>>      foo rx   ($arg) { $var := <$arg> };
>
> Ouch.  [Looks to others on list] Hands up those of you who were just
> about to suggest that example, but wanted Damian to move first? :)

Ah, how kind of you all to humour an old man. ;-)

>>It's a little more than that. A C<< -> >> uses different delimiters
>>(now *there's* a parallel!) for its parameter list. Whereas C<sub>
>>requires {...}, C<< -> >> allows either (...) or <ws>...<ws>.
>          ^   ^
> Hang on, are we still talking parameter lists, or the closure itself?
> (Or was that just a typo, instead supposed to be parentheses?)

Definitely a typo. Mea culpa. To be clear:

        * C<sub> can take a name and properties, and requires (...)
           around its parameter list specification

        * C<< -> >> cannot take a name or properties, but allows
           either (...) or <ws>...<ws> as the delimiters of its
           parameter list.

Damian