Nicholas Clark wrote:
[...]
> If the compiler were able to see that my Date $bday = 'June 25, 2002';
> is one statement that both types $bday as Date, and then assigns a
> constant to it, is it possible to do the conversion of that constant
> to a constant $bday object at compile time? (and hence get compile
> time checking) Without affecting general run time behaviour.

While that may be possible (I can't tell, I gladly take Dan's word for it),
it doesn't make much sense IMHO. It means that you can only initialize those
objects with constants. That's not a problem for people who know Perl well,
but it is going to be one hell of a confusion for anybody learning Perl. I
can see people whining on clpm why they can't do "my Dog $rex =
sub_returning_string();". Again IMHO, taking Perl's flexibility in *some*
cases is much worse than making it Java.

Steffen
--
@n=(544290696690,305106661574,116357),$b=16,@c=' ,JPacehklnorstu'=~
/./g;for$n(@n){map{$h=int$n/$b**$_;$n-=$b**$_*$h;$c[@c]=$h}c(0..9);