Paul Johnson wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 26, 2002 at 09:23:19PM -0000, Smylers wrote:
>
> > I believe that having English aliases would make matters worse.
>
> I agree, in general.  I was planning on writing something about this.
> Now I don't have to :-)

Pleased to be of help!

> The only thing I would add, is that this is an experiment that has
> already been tried.  Perl 5 has English.pm.
>
> Is is used?  Not much.
>
> Who uses it?  Mostly people writing their first programs.

Good point.

> How many people can even remember the English for $_?  Or how to spell
> "The string following whatever was matched by the last successful
> pattern match"?

There is one situation where I use it.  That's for C<$UID> and friends.
I have never bothered to learn which brackets are which in those four
variables, and I need them so infrequently that I think the English
names make the code considerably more readable.

But this is a particular situation where the Perl names are referring
directly to pre-existing real-world concepts that already have specific
names.  Keeping those names makes sense (when compared with seemingly
arbitrary punctuation[*0]).

It doesn't follow that it makes sense to try to fit names on to concepts
that don't have them.  C<$_> is just 'the current thing I'm dealing with
right now', and C<~~> could be 'the appropriate kind of match' without
having to find single-word English labels.

*0  Yes, I'm aware of the mnemonics in perlvar, but I can't recall them
fast enough when browsing through code.

Smylers