[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Larry Wall) writes:
> Well, it's actually a little worse than that.  Not all languages do
> noun disjunctions.  In Japanese you can't ask
>
>     Want tea or coffee?
>
> as far as I know.  You have to ask
>
>     Want tea?  Want coffee?

I'm not sure I believe that. You can say "do you want tea xor coffee"[1]
(and there are no other choices) or you can say "do you want such a thing
as tea or coffee."[2] (or any other member of the set of beverages usually
offered to guests) So there's disjunctions there, but they're more explicit
than in English.

[1] "ti- ka ko-hi ka douchi ha nomimasu ka?"
[2] "ti- nado no-hi nado nomimasu ka?"

--
Timesharing just doesn't work. -K. Thompson, 1982.