> Mailing-List: contact [EMAIL PROTECTED]; run by ezmlm
> From: Piers Cawley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 05:45:01 +0000
>
> Whilst I don't wish to get Medieval on your collective donkey I must
> say that I'm really not sure of the utility of the proposed infix
> superposition ops. I'm a big fan of any/all/one/none, I just think
> that
>
>     one(any($a, $b, $c), all($d, $e, $f))
>
> Is a good deal more intention revealing than the superficially
> appealing than
>
>     ($a & $b & $c) ^ ( $d | $e | $f )
>
> which takes rather more decoding. And if you *do* want to use such
> operators, surely you could just do
>
>     use ops ':superpositions';
>
> in an appropriate lexical scope. Am I missing something?

Uh huh.  This:

   if $x == 1 | 3 | 6 { print "Small triangular" }

I imagine it will not take long for these to sink in to people's
brains, and become used in very clever (and readable) ways.

If you read | as "or," and & as "and," instead of trying to translate
them to "any" and "all," things get very nice.

Plus, a scripting (or, in the case of P6, high level) language with
such small bitwise ops gives me the shivers.  C, sure, they're common.
Perl, no, not usually.  I was even dissatisfied with them in C++,
which is a high- low-level language.

Luke