> > 1) Need a definite syntax for hypers
> > ^[op] and <<op>>
> > have been most seriously proposed -- something that keeps a
> > bracketed syntax, but solves ambiguity issues.
>
> hm. What was wrong with just '^' again?

Right. I didn't have a problem with ^ in the first place.

But...

A ^ prefix visually interferes a lot more with the op being
hypered. I didn't understand that until I first saw use of
square brackets (interestingly, use of angle brackets
didn't grab my attention, though that may have been
due to other factors).

Personally, I liked the use of single backtick someone
suggested. I suspect that this is because it seemed
to be just as good as square brackets at getting out
of the way visually (vastly better than ^); was enough
to catch my attention to suggest something special
was going on; was just one, unshifted, character (or
two, if used for a `op`= variant); and seemed to be
the least disruptive (it left ^ for other duties and just
meant one needed to eliminate `` for a syscall; hmm,
maybe that's not acceptable...)

--
ralph