On Fri, Nov 08, 2002 at 11:41:38AM -0800, Brent Dax wrote:
> Luke Palmer:
> # What's wrong with C<cached>?
> #
> # C<pure> ain't bad either, but it won't appeal to
> # non-mathematicians---even certain kinds of mathematicians.
> # Mathematica thinks a "pure" function is what we think of as
> # an "anonymous" sub.  So I like C<cached>.
>
> How about C<steady>, in an analogy to physics?
>
> steady state
> n. Physics
>
> A stable condition that does not change over time or in which change in
> one direction is continually balanced by change in another.

steady - a physics term
cached - a software term

I think I prefer the software term

1: more likely that people will know what it means
2: in the words of the adverts of a certain UK varnish manufacturer:
   "cached - does exactly what it says on the tin"

Nicholas Clark
--
COBOL better than perl?         http://www.perl.org/advocacy/spoofathon/