> How about this:
>
>    $_       # current topic
>    $__      # outer topic
>    $___     # outer outer topic

Unfortunately, or maybe fortunately, that is impossible to read correctly
without having to move the cursor and count how many underscores exist.

It seems to me, that in English, it is hard to correctly jump to a previous
topic without being fairly explicit.  If you start talking about trapeze
artists and I change the subject to monkees, then if I say I like the way
they swing, you should assume I am talking about monkees unless I have
explicitly changed the topic back to trapeeze artists.  I don't think there
should be a shortcut to do this, an explict way, yes, but not a shortcut as
it seems to break the English analogy.

Tanton