On Tue, Nov 19, 2002 at 01:24:30PM -0800, Austin Hastings wrote:
> So what's wrong with:
>
> sub foo($param is topic //= $= // 5)    # Shorter form with $=
> sub foo($param is topic //= $CALLER::_ // 5)
>
> It doesn't really seem like we can make it much shorter. Yes, we could
> convert //= into a single character, but why? People will understand
> //=.

There's not really anything wrong with it. But one of the tricks to an
elegant language is that it provides syntatic sugar for commonly used
features, instead of requiring you to type out long arcane sequences.
The problem is deciding which features deserve the sugar.

> The idea of $= as CALLER::_ is good, though.

Though C<//= $= //> is a nasty sequence.

Allison