Paul Johnson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> When I later saw it using mutt in an xterm, the tilde was at the top of
> the character, where I was more used to seeing it and it didn't look like
> an arrow any more, nor did it look very good to me.

Well, at least now I understand why some people didn't see the squiggly
arrow immediately, as I did. It seemed so obvious to MY eyes, I couldn't
understand what the big deal was.

I have been (quietly) siding with the "let's use unicode characters as
operators" camp. But this little brouhaha has me splitting into two
universes:

  Universe 1 (anti-unicode): "If we have this much trouble seeing a tilde
the same way, what are the chances that all these cool new operators will be
visually comparable to all P6 coders?"

  Universe 2 (pro-unicode): "If we had a Unicode 'squiggly arrow' operator,
then however it looks on everybody's display, it ought to at least look like
some kind of squiggly arrow."

We'll say goodbye now.
=thom
"Delusions are often functional. A mother's opinions about her children's
beauty, intelligence, goodness et cetera ad nauseam, keep her from drowning
them at birth." --Lazarus Long