On Sun, Jan 12, 2003 at 11:50:14AM +0000, Richard J Cox wrote:

> U+21DC "Leftwards Squiggle Arrow" and U+21DE "Rightwards Squiggle Arrow" would
> seem to fit the bill rather well.... maybe the ascii <~ and ~> are merely
> aliases of the true symbols?

If we go this route, I would suggest that we use U+219C (Leftwards
Wave Arrow) and U+219D (Rightwards Wave Arrow).  Not only are they
closer to the potential ASCII aliases, but (IMHO) they are more
attractive. (Although, of course, both parts of the above may not
apply, since the arrows are allowed to be represented differently in
different fonts.)

To see what the Unicode Consortium thinks they look like:

   http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U2190.pdf

--Dks