On Fri, Jan 17, 2003 at 04:21:08PM -0800, Damian Conway wrote:
> Paul Johnson wrote:
>
> > Well, I'll be pretty interested to discover what cause is deemed more
> > deserving than Larry, Perl 6 or Parrot.  The P still stands for Perl,
> > right?
>
> True. But I suspect that TPF's position is that, to many people, Perl 6 is
> far less important than mod_Perl, or DBI, or HTML::Mason, or POE, or PDL, or
> Inline, or SpamAssassin, or XML::Parser, or YAML, or the Slashcode, or any of
> a hundred other projects on which their job depends on a daily basis.
>
> Supporting those efforts is important too, and TPF has only limited resources.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the one thing that all those
projects have in common...well...Perl?  And isn't Larry the guy to
whom we owe the existence of Perl?  I'm not fortunate enough to be
using Perl in my job, but I'm still more than happy to pony up for a
donation, purely from gratitude.

This is something along the lines of the applied research vs basic
research question.  What Larry is doing pretty much amounts to basic
research that will help all of these other projects in the long run.

--Dks