On Tue, 4 Feb 2003, [iso-8859-1] Stéphane Payrard wrote:

> In the tradition of Perl concision, I would like newline to be a
> statement terminator everywhere it can: that is when
>        a) the parser expects an operator
>  _and_ b)  we are not in the middle of a parenthesised expression.

I don't mean to be abrupt here, especially seeing as how this list has
been so patient with some of my ideas but... PLEASE NO.  The rules you
suggest for keeping track of when a semicolon is required sound more
confusing than the simple rule of "end of statement, put semicolon".  I
like to break up my long statements in all sorts of arbitrary places, and
adding the worries of when a newline might be significant puts a knot in
my stomach just thinking about it (literally).

> Note that, for Perl 6, Larry has already opened the path in his fourth
> apocalypse:

NOTE TO ALLISON RANDAL: in your face-to-face meetings next week, please
make sure that "Larry Wall" isn't really Guido van Rossum with a fake
mustache.

-miko

Miko O'Sullivan
Programmer Analyst