At 12:00 AM +0000 3/20/03, Simon Cozens wrote:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthijs Van Duin) writes:
 OK, I suppose that works although that still means you're moving the
 complexity from the perl implementation to its usage: in this case,
 the perl 6 parser which is written in perl 6

No, I don't believe that's what's happening. My concern is that at some point, there *will* need to be a bootstrapped parser which is written in some low level language, outputting Parrot bytecode, and it *will* need to be able to reconfigure itself mid-match.

I think. I can't remember why I'm so convinced of this, and I'm too tired
to think it through with examples right now, and I might be wrong anyway,
but at least I can be ready with a solution if it proves necessary. :)

You may well be right--I don't think so, but I'm not at my clearest either. I don't see that it'll be needed outside the initial bootstrap parser if at all, so I'm not too worried. (And the low-level language for it will probably be perl 5, since I'd far rather build something with a Parse::RecDescent grammar than a hand-nibbler in C)
--
Dan

                                      teddy bears get drunk