On Thu, Mar 20, 2003 at 11:38:31AM -0800, Sean O'Rourke wrote:
Here's what I take to be a (scheme) prototype of Matthijs' "success
continuations" approach.  It actually works mostly by passing closures and
a state object, ...

Matthijs -- is this what you're describing?

It sounds like approach #2 ("callback") I listed in my original post

Unfortunately, #1 is the more appealing approach of the two and is what this whole thread has been about so far. I pretty much abandoned #2 early on.
I'll see if I can take a look at it later.

#2's only advantage was that - as you noted - it doesn't need continuations for backtracking, but uses the normal call-chain.

I've never really done anything with scheme but I know the syntax mostly, so I'll see if I can read it later on -- you obviously put quite some effort in writing it, so it deserves to be read :-)

Dan -- given that the "real one" could optimize simple operators by
putting a bunch of them inside a single sub, does this look too painful?

I doubt he'll like this -- while the continuations-model is still mostly like his model (structurally), the callback-model isn't. I also think it has less opportunity for optimizations but I might be wrong about that.

--
Matthijs van Duin  --  May the Forth be with you!