At 7:35 AM -0800 4/1/03, Austin Hastings wrote:
--- Dan Sugalski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
 At 11:09 AM -0800 3/31/03, Austin Hastings wrote:
 >--- Dan Sugalski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
 >>  At 8:13 PM +0200 3/31/03, Matthijs van Duin wrote:
 >>  >On Mon, Mar 31, 2003 at 07:45:30AM -0800, Austin Hastings wrote:
 >>  >>I've been thinking about closures, continuations, and
 coroutines,
 >>  and
 >>  >>one of the interfering points has been threads.
 >>  >>
 >>  >>What's the P6 thread model going to be?
 >>  >>
 >>  >>As I see it, parrot gives us the opportunity to implement
 >>  preemptive
 >>  >>threading at the VM level, even if it's not available via the
 OS.
 >>  >
 >>  >I think we should consider cooperative threading, implemented
 using
 >>  >continuations.  Yielding to another thread would automatically
 >>  >happen when a thread blocks, or upon explicit request by the
 >>  >programmer.
 >>  >
 >>  >It has many advantages:
 >>
 >>  And one disadvantage:
 >>
 >>  Dan doesn't like it. :)
 >>
 >>  Well, there are actually a lot of disadvantages, but that's the
 only
 >>  important one, so it's probably not worth much thought over
 alternate
 >>  threading schemes for Parrot at least--it's going with an
 OS-level
 >>  preemptive threading model.
 >>
 >>  No, this isn't negotiable.
 >
 >More information please.

 There isn't any, particularly. We're doing preemptive threads. It
 isn't up for negotiation. This is one of the few things where I truly
 don't care what people's opinions on the matter are.

Okay, but what does "OS-level" mean? Are you relying on the OS for implementing the threads (a sub-optimal idea, IMO) or something else?

Yes, we're using the OS-level threading facilities as part of the threading implementation.
--
Dan

                                      teddy bears get drunk