On Tue, 1 Apr 2003, Michael Lazzaro wrote:
> So I *really* don't think comparing the equality of references will be
> a good idea, in P6.  :-)
>
> John Williams wrote:
> >      [EMAIL PROTECTED] eq [EMAIL PROTECTED];    # true, for the reason I think
> >                     # (the string-representation of the refs are equal)
>
> I'm pretty sure that breaks too, for the same reason.  It puts both
> sides in string context, which causes both sides to return the string
> representation of the underlying array, _not_ the string representation
> of the references themselves.

Yeah, I realized that might break after I sent the email too.

But you're still beating around my bush.  The main point is that the
reference is a unique identifier for an object.  At least, I haven't been
able to think why it wouldn't be yet (barring persistence).

So if you cede that point, achieving your identity comparison is a trivial
matter of spelling the comparison correctly.
Maybe its "$x.ref == $y.ref", since 'ref' is less common than 'id'.
Maybe its something else.
If we can store it somewhere, we can surely figure out a way to compare it.

~ John Williams