--- mlazzaro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Austin Hastings wrote:
> > It has been pointed out once already that we already talked about
> > this, and I for one am in favor of the general version of it.
> > The original discussion posited an "adverbial comparison", viz:
> > C<$a eq:ref $b>. Which, looking at your proposal, is very close to
> > C<$a =:= $b>, because I'm reading that as "equals, under
> > assignment".
>
> What was decided about the adverbial ops -- did we ever get a
> confirmation or rejection on that proposal, or did it die in the
> ether?

I'd still like to know as well. I must've missed it.

> I like the idea lots (though I still would argue that
> identity-compare =:= is important enough conceptually to be
> a separate case.)

I *disagree* with that, though only in principle. I don't want the code
to require a lot of special cases. That was one of P5's problems.
Larry&co are doing a beautiful job of designing a system by which the
language is systematically and semantically consistent. Admittedly, I'm
not doing any of the under-the-hood design, but for the sake of those
who are as well as my own, I'd rather see the smallest possible number
of "seperate case" situations.