Larry Wall wrote:

On Wed, Jul 14, 2004 at 10:23:18AM -0700, Larry Wall wrote:
: Another alternative is "$( $file ).ext".  I'd tend to use that before
: "${file}.ext" these days.  Perhaps that's irrational--but it was hard
: to get the special-case "${name}" form to work right in the Perl 5
: lexer, and that bugs me.  If we're going to get rid of the autoquoting
: of $hash{shift}, we likely ought to undo the autoquoting of ${shift}
: as well, even if that gives heartburn to a certain number of shell
: programmers.

And if we do that, I guess that means that "$«file».ext" could
be made to work as a replacement, which seems conceptually clean if
you don't think about it too hard.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but this looks just plain cruel. Is it easier to parse ...um... that? It's that same debate that's been here before, but a lot of us can't type it yet. I probably could, but I don't know the incantation for mozilla on windows. If I did, it bet it wouldn't be the same as as the raindance for notepad. If it is the same, then it probably isn't the same as the incantation in vi or emacs on linux or aix.

I use "...${var}..." a lot, and unfortunately, I have to use a number of different programs and oses. Unfortunately, typing '«' & '»' (thank you cut&paste) is not as portable on the keyboard as say '{' & '}' (or '&' for that matter).

Is ${var} really that rare in real world perl? Are we going to try to have ascii equivalents like '<<' & '>>' in quoted strings? (Please no.) Do I need to put a unicode keyboard next to the APL keyboard on my wishlist?

Dan