Brent 'Dax' Royal-Gordon wrote:

Aaron Sherman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Still, tables are useful, so here's a simple way to get the kind of
table we see above, without the HTMLish trap of pseudo-layout:

Because one of the features of POD is that documentation tends to be
readable in markup form, an C<=>-introduced markup seems like it would
not work well. Instead, we use C<< H<...> >> (headings) and C<< T<...>
>> (table body) like so:

H< C<$_> | C<$x> | Type of Match Implied | Matching Code >
T< Any | CodeC<< <$> >> | scalar sub truth | match if C<$x($_)> >

I worry that, with that syntax, someone might try to nest a table. I
also think that the H<>/T<> syntax is a bit wrong--to use CSS
terminology, tables are a block construct, not an inline one.[1] Instead, I'd recommend something like this:

First off, I agree that looking at CSS makes sense as a point of reference, but this should make just as much sense for troff, texinfo, ps, text, etc. A header+table lines work just fine for an internal representation, and there are times you want to say:

 Function Name  Developer  Time Table
 foo()          ajs        1mo.
 bar()          brent      2dy.
 fiz()          larry      2mo.

 Release name   QA         Testing Time
 super_foo()    randal     2wk.
 mega_bar()     dan        3wk.

and so on. The idea being that sometimes you wish to re-head your columns witout re-calculating layout, which is why I chose a heading and table pair.

=table C<$_> | C<$x> | Type of Match Implied | Matching Code
=row Any | CodeC<< <$> >> | scalar sub truth | match if C<$x($_)>

That's (the above comments aside) the same thing, and as I said when Luke suggested it, it seems fine if that's the way we'd prefer to go. I do want to make sure that there's some way to associate a caption, though. HTML doesn't have a real caption concept, but many markup languages do.

Is the general consensus,then, that an C<=>-introduced form would be better? I do agree that we don't want the capability to nest tables, as that DOES break POD down into a presentation system, which it was never meant to be. So perhaps the balanced syntax is too misleading there.