That is correct. It probably should have read "...our style policies will be to _always_ use explicit invocants, if .foo ends up meaning $_.foo in the final release (as it does now)".

(of course, I suspect Darren will keep using them anyways, but then he likes to be even more explicit than I am) :)

Personally, .foo meaning $self.foo seems more consistent to my mind, and I'd happily standardise on implicit invocants. The only minor thing I can see would be that you will end up with a slight asymmetry question of "if we use $:attribute for a private attribute, do we call :method for a private method?"

Adam K