On Thu, 2005-03-17 at 18:06 -0600, Rod Adams wrote:

First off, thanks for the reply. Very nice work you're doing!

> I'll listen to proposals about how to support better randoms. For now I
> think C<rand> is a standard PRNG.

Yes, absolutely. If I gave a contrary impression, I did not mean to.

I think it's important for lots of historical reasons to have a
repeatable (and hopefully somewhat standard) PRNG. I was saying that it
would be a very nice thing if, come Perl 6, I did not have to write
hairy code that checks for a module, and fails over to home-baked, OS-
specific ways of getting "good" random data.

This is a SEPARATE need from the need for a repeatable, standard PRNG,
and should always operate off of the best source of entropy available to
the program. Right now, that's /dev/urandom (for non-blocking hybridized
entropy pool + PRNG) under most Unix variants and something like
Math::TrulyRandom's setjmp/longjmp hack elsewhere. Speaking of which,
there's a good reason to keep those two when you get to them ;-)

One solution would be to adapt M::TR to Perl 6, and just pull it into
the core. I'm just saying that it's a wide-spread need among a vast
array of different applications (crypto, games, statistics, etc), and it
makes sense to "corize" it.