On Sun, 2005-05-15 at 18:34 +0200, Juerd wrote:

> I've been looking for a good moment to come with this, but there is
> none, making this as good a point as any: I don't like the dot in
> attributes, and the colon that replaces it.
>
> If we have .method and .:method, then we should have $.attr and $.:attr.

Let's have a look, side-by-side:

Old way:

        Declaration     Explicit        Implicit $_     Implicit $?SELF

        has $.var       $obj.var        .var            ./var
        has $:var       $obj.:var       .:var           ./:var

Your proposal:

        has $.var       $obj.var        .var            ./var
        has $.:var      $obj.:var       .:var           ./:var

Scanning over those two sets visually, I just don't see that extra "."
as a very big win.... Perhaps if I try in some code:

        $.:var = 1;

vs

        $:var = 1;

Still not seeing it....