Stevan Little skribis 2005-10-18 10:16 (-0400):
> You are probably right, but are the twigils actually special? or is
> it just a naming convention.

dot sigils are not actually special. They are required on has-variables
and forbidden on all other. Changing them to be optional is trivial, or
so I hope.

(I believe that sigils or twigils should not indicate scope, duration or
type. The distinctin between the major variable types is useful, further
distinction is not.)

> I don't think this is true, this is a Perl 5-ism.

Perl 5 isn't a synonym for "bad". "Perl 5-ism" can be construed as
positive or negative. Please do elaborate.

Juerd