Hi everyone,

I am not a regular to this list but I'd like to induce some thoughts on
threading. I'm not too much into the subject myself, but I've got some
pointers, which I hope are of some use.  Please ignore me if I am not
making any sense here.

Herb Sutter has an interesting article called "
The Free Lunch Is Over: A Fundamental Turn Toward Concurrency in Software."
[1] He starts with "The biggest sea change in software development since
the OO revolution is knocking at the door, and its name is Concurrency."

Herb Sutter and James Larus continue with another interesting article about
"Software and the Concurrency Revolution." [2] They talk about "The problem
of shared state, and why locks aren't the answer" and "What we need in
programming languages."

Microsoft provides "An Overview of the Singularity Project." [3] In
Singularity, processes are very lightweight, and communicate with each
other through channels. Objects are owned by a single process only.

The Java folks have revamped "The Java Memory Model." [4]  Can't say much
to that one, as I am not through with it yet.

Hans-J. Boehm argues that "Threads Cannot be Implemented as a Library." [5]

Ron

[1] http://www.gotw.ca/publications/concurrency-ddj.htm
[2]
http://acmqueue.com/modules.php?name=Content&pa=printer_friendly&pid=332&page=1
[3] ftp://ftp.research.microsoft.com/pub/tr/TR-2005-135.pdf
[4] http://www.cs.umd.edu/users/jmanson/java/journal.pdf
[5] http://www.hpl.hp.com/techreports/2004/HPL-2004-209.html