On 18/02/06 12:23, Jonathan Lang wrote:
Piers Cawley wrote:

And backwhacking braces in generated code is *not* a pretty solution
to my eyes. I'd *like* to be able to have a quasiquoting environment
along the lines of lisp's backquote (though I'm not sure about the
unquoting syntax):

Let me see if I understand this correctly: Instead of interpolation
being enabled by default with backwhacks selectively disabling it, you
want something where interpolation is disabled by default with
"anti-backwhacks" selectively enabling it.  Right?

Not speaking for Piers...

Something like that, although trying to find universal anti-backwhacks
in the strings handled by Perl is much harder than finding meta-syntax
for S-expressions.  That's why I was suggesting a mechanism to selectively
enable interpolation by name rather than syntax.

There are a number of alternatives, from the :s,:c,:f adverbs to using
something like Template Toolkit, so unless a neat solution can be found
the cure is probably worse than the illness.

Brad

--
... One should think well then speak. ... -- Hagakure