On Sun, Apr 30, 2006 at 09:58:21AM -0700, Larry Wall wrote:

> Neither of those are currently legal in infix position.  The backslash

> Backslash also has the advantage of making sense to a C programmer:
>
>     $foo\
>     .foo();

So this also would be legal?

    $foo                                                                \
    .foo();

?

(and therefore presumably the variant that is a bug in C or Makefiles:

    $foo                                                                \
    .foo();

I don't mean that as a counter argument. It's an argument in favour. That
space you can't see is a really annoying invisible bug in C source code that's
sometimes hard to track down. Making it not-a-bug seems good.)

Nicholas Clark