Jonathan Lang wrote:

The only thing that I'd like to see changed would be to allow a more
flexible syntax for formatting codes - in particular, I'd rather use
something analogous to the 'embedded comments' described in S02,
replacing the leading # with an appropriate capital letter (as defined
by Unicode) and insisting on a word break just prior to it.

It was a deliberate decision to restrict the delimiters to angles. Unlike embedded comments, formatting codes are predominantly embedded in text, not code, so it's important to keep them easy-to-locate (i.e. with a consistent delimiter) and not to allow too many syntaxes (which increases the chance of unintended codes in normal text).

A leading word break is not really practical either, since documenters will need to use codes in the middle of words:

I'd also prefer a more Wiki-like dialect at some point (e.g.,
'__underlined text__', '_italicized text_' and '*bold*' instead of
can wait.

That's Kwid. Which Ingy has proposed as a standard Perldoc dialect.
You'll be able to flip into kwid mode (for Perldoc parsers that support it)
using:

    =begin kwid

    =end kwid

Damian