I'm quite surprised by this debate... To me it seems a clear rule that
state that "if a line begin with "=" then it starts a POD section" is
way easier to understand than "a line beginning by = will start a POD
section except if it is in a Perl statement, or in a :to section, or
in a string literal, etc...". The "Learning Perl 6" argument seems
equally contrived to me since anyway you don't need POD to understand
programming in Perl and I never actually learned POD until I wanted to
do a real module and document my little console utilities in Perl. You
don't need to understand POD to read a program where POD is used :
it's usually quite clear from the content where it is POD and where it
is doc and each section that don't look like Perl is usually POD. Even
if you never heard of POD the first few samples would be a dead
giveaway that those weird "things" are actually documentation and not
code (it's my experience speaking here).

I seriously doubt most programmer will start including POD section in
confusing places because now they can do it, so the situation should
not be any different from before. And if some do it, hell, I seriously
doubt that their program would be in the scope of the beginning of
"Learning Perl 6" !! You didn't put "-+-" there in previous versions,
did you ?

The other "problem" is that if somehow a braindead guy (where would he
get the idea from, I never saw such a style) put his "=" in first
column expecting a assignment he won't get it... Seriously ? Are you
really allowing for such weirdness in introductory material to a
Language course ?

So in my opinion, it would be fine to let slip that you can also
create some kind of comment/doc by putting a = in the first column in
the first chapter, and let the subject of POD for a later chapter.

Of course some of you have far more experience teaching languages, but
as a language _student_ I don't feel this would be any inconvenience,
in fact I would have been very happy if all the Perl5 rules were that
easy.

--
Jedaï