On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 2:24 AM, David Green <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  Interestingly, BASIC has gone the other direction --
>  at least, Visual BASIC uses + for addition and & for concatenation;
>  I'm guessing this happened when VB got "variant" types that could hold
>  either numbers or strings.

Actually, VisualBASIC (at least as of VB.NET/2008) still has "+" for
concatenation, too.  & is preferred because of the complex set of
rules that determine when + does conversions and when it doesn't (for
instance, adding a stringish Object to a numeric Object wll in some
cases convert the string to a number and add instead of
concatenating!), but + still works.

--
Mark J. Reed <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>