On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 10:19:07AM -0300, Daniel Ruoso wrote:
> Em Qua, 2008-12-17 ??s 23:35 +1100, Timothy S. Nelson escreveu:
> > > Please take a look in some notes I've written some time ago:
> > > http://www.perlfoundation.org/perl6/index.cgi?DistributionFormat
> >     I guess I should also say that I'm assuming everyone has at least a
> > vague familiarity with this:
> >     http://svn.pugscode.org/pugs/docs/Perl6/Spec/S22-cpan.pod
> >     In particular, I'm not sure that Daniel's ideas align with the Draft
> > S22; I'm hoping Daniel will take a moment to see if they align.
>
> Indeed, for some reason I missed that document. But it's not entirely
> unaligned. The major difference seems to be having different packages
> for "source" and "binary" (or "source" and "installable", as in S22).
> S22 mentions the difference, but doesn't split them in different
> packages.
>
> The most important argument, IMHO, to have them as different packages is
> to allow a "binary"/"installable" distribution without the need to
> recompile every module when installing. This should help when you have a
> target OS that is installed in several machines, then you can re-use the
> "binary"/"installable" package repository for that specific OS/version.
>
> It also allows one source package to generate different binary packages
> (for instance, having scripts, libs and docs splitted), and makes it
> easier to do an uninstall, because a "binary"/"installable" package
> would have a fixed list of files.
>
> One thing that is mostly aligned, is the idea that the building of the
> package is external to it, no more Makefile.PL or Build.PL. The package
> only lists metadata of which type of things it has, and the running
> system should realize how to build and install them. Althought, in my
> notes, I expanded the meaning of it a bit more.
>
> In summary, I think inheriting most of the concepts from Debian is
> something almost consensual, and there's much alignment in both
> documents in that respect. It would probably make sense to refactor S22
> into a more spec-like document.

I am sticking my neck out here, but don't forget that there are a
multitude of package management systems out there, including FreeBSD's
Ports /and/ Packages. A "packages" is probably more in line with where
this discussion seems to be heading, but I wanted to mention both.

Packages and Ports contain *a lot* of Perl modules, and although I have zero
experience actually putting a Perl module into Ports or creating a
Package (and dealing with the dependencies), the more easily this
process could be automated against a 6PAN module, the better.

Cheers,
Brett