Ovid wrote:

 $string.trim(:leading<0>);
 $string.trim(:trailing<0>);

Alternatively, those could be ltrim() and rtrim().  If you need to dynamically
determine what you're going to trim, you'd couldn't just set variables to do it,
though. You'd have to figure out which methods to call.  Or all could be allowed and
$string.trim(:leading<0>) could all $string.rtrim internally.