On 2009-May-30, at 6:56 am, Andrew Whitworth wrote:
I'm not saying we *can't* create a general repository for all sorts of
nonsense, I'm saying that we *shouldn't*.

"Holiday photos" is just a whimsical example. The problem is that it's hard enough keeping up with what "Perl6" is today, let alone what it will be tomorrow. Or what Perl 7 will be, or what some other programming language/system will be that isn't even invented yet. Mark's point is that any arbitrary restrictions put in place now will seem short-sighted in 10 years' time, so we need something flexible. And it's all just 1s and 0s to the computer, so you *could* use it for photographs; that shouldn't matter to the software.

If you want to create an infrastructure that is vastly extensible and
too clever by half, that's you're prerogative.

Sure, it's always possible to go too far. But on the other hand, isn't Perl 6 all about being too clever by half? It's certainly about being vastly extensible, anyway.

-David