Jon Lang wrote:
On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 2:16 PM, Mark J. Reed<markjr...@gmail.com> wrote:
I still like the double-bracket idea. I don't much mind the extra
character; 5 characters total still beats the 7 of HTML/XML.

Agreed.  As I said, the biggest potential stumbling block for this
would be the existence of a double-bracket that sees frequent use at
the start of a line.  Query: does '<<' count as a double bracket, or
as a single bracket (since it's equivalent to '«')?  If the former,
then there's a respectable chance of seeing a line that begins with
'<<' which would comment out as an inline comment rather than an
end-of-line comment.  If the latter, lines beginning with '<<' would
still comment out as end-of-line comments.  Off the top of my head, I
can't think of any other bracketing characters that are commonly
doubled up.

[S02] {Note however that bare circumfix or postcircumfix <<...>> is not a user-selected bracket, but the ASCII variant of the «...» interpolating word list. Only # and the q-style quoters (including m, s, tr, and rx) enable subsequent user-selected brackets.}

Cheers,
--
smuj